lightbluespaghetti asked: Gah; I could ask about a million. Okay: who are your favorite artists? And, if you are so inclined, what do you admire about their work?
Woo! I could go on and on about this, but I guess I’ll start with some of my major influences. In no particular order:
- Haruhiko Mikimoto (HAL) - lead designer of the original Macross series. Still one of the stories that inspires me the most.
- Wendy Pini - Artist (and co-writer, I believe) of Elfquest. The first comics series I followed really fanatically.
- Frank Miller - The Dark Knight Returns. Enough said.
- Bill Sienkiewicz - Elektra Assassin blew me away. First comic I saw on a spinner rack and HAD to take home. I studied it for… I guess I STILL study it. I also went apeshit over Batman #400.
- Jim Lee - When I figured out I wanted to draw comics professionally, it was mostly because of Jim. Perfect superhero comics.
- Bengus - Capcom artist on Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, etc. Discovering that stuff was a big turning point for me, stylistically.
- Hayao Miyazaki - my favourite storyteller, tonally. My Neighbour Totoro is one of the best films ever.
Throw all of those together and I guess you might get something resembling my work. I change styles a lot, though, depending on what I’m working on, so who knows.